Sopa de Plátanos (Plantain Soup) Recipe
Puerto Rican Sopa de Plátano has an authentic flavor that is rustic and pleasing to the palate. This plantain soup is perfect for cold winter months. Puerto Rican plantain soup can be prepared with boiled plantains, but this recipe by Mayra Rodriguez (author of Espanol’s Guia de Cocina latina y caribena) uses fried bananas. ENJOY!
- 3 green plantains, peeled * (see tips below)
- Vegetable oil sufficient for frying the plantains
- 4 Tbsp. sofrito (see: Recaito or Sofrito Recipe)
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 8 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1-2 Tbsps. chopped cilantro for garnish
1. Peel the plantains, cut them into one-inch-thick pieces, and soak in salted water for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, you may prepare the soup broth (step three).
Tip: Peeling Plantains
- Cut the ends of the banana.
- Make four cuts along the peel of each piece with the tip of a knife.
- Soak in ice water for three to five minutes to loosen the shell.
- Remove from the water and peel it.
2. Drain and pat dry the plantains. In a skillet, heat oil and fry the plantains for about 12 minutes at medium-high until golden brown, making sure you turn them at about six minutes. Remove them from the oil, drain them well on paper towel, and proceed to mash them using a pilÃ³n (mortar and pestle).
3. In a deep pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the crushed garlic and cook until soft. Then add the sofrito and cook for two minutes. Finally, add the chicken or vegetable broth and cook until it boils.
4. Add the plantains, mix well, simmer for about three minutes and reduce the heat. Cook the mixture over medium-low heat for about 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened.
5. Add the cilantro. You can sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired.
6. Process half the soup in a blender to make a purÃ©e. Return soup to pot and mix well with the rest of the soup that still contains bits of plantains. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If you prefer a creamy soup without chunks of plantain, do not attempt to process the whole batch in the blender. Do it in two parts.
- If soup is too thick, you can more broth.
- If the soup is hot, be careful when using the blender. Remove the liquid from the heat and let cool for five minutes. Fill the blender only halfway, place the lid slanted so the steam escapes.
Leave a comment