RECAITO or SOFRITO is a base for many Puerto Rican dishes – a necessity in any pantry. The raw version is known as “recaito”. Once cooked the name changes to the better known “sofrito.”
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Procedure time: 5 minutes
Easy of preparation: Easy
* 1 large, peeled yellow onion
* 1 large, cored and seeded green bell pepper
* 2 bunches fresh cilantro or recao(saw leaf) – including stems
* 8 fresh, peeled garlic cloves
1. Roughly chop all ingredients.
2. Using a food processor or heavy duty blender, add garlic and pulse until finely chopped.
3. Add all onion and bell pepper. Process until finely chopped.
4. Add a handful of cilantro or recao. Process until finely chopped. Repeat this process until all of cilantro or recao is used.
5. The end result should look something like pesto. If the mixture looks very watery you can add more cilantro or recao.
This mixture can be made ahead of time and kept in a sealed container in the refrigerator or poured into an ice cube tray and frozen for future use.
Source: The View From the Bay