The JÃbaro or Jibarito is a specialty of Aguada, Puerto Rico and Chicago and is a sandwich made with flattened, fried green plantains instead of bread. Usually the jibarito has a steak filling but other fillings such as chicken and pork are now common. A proper jibarito is also said to have cheese, lettuce, tomato and garlic-flavored mayonnaise.
JIBARO – Plantain and Steak Sandwich (wheat free)
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Procedure time: 7-10 minutes
Easy of preparation: medium
* 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
* 1 medium green plantain – peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
* 1/2 tbsp light olive oil or vegetable oil
* 1 piece thinly slices top sirloin (1/8 inch)
* 1/4 yellow onion thinly sliced
* salt to taste
* 1 piece iceberg lettuce
* garlic mayo
1. Heat vegetable oil in saute pan to medium high.
2. Add plantains.
3. Cook for about 10 minutes until golden and cooked through.
4. Remove plantains and drain on paper bag or paper towels.
5. Place one piece of plantain on a plastic cutting board and use a paper plate to smash plantain flat to about 1/8 inch. Smash both pieces this way.
6. Once plantains are flat, fry a second time until golden using the same frying oil.
7. In a different saute pan heat remaining oil to medium.
8. Add onions and cook for 2-3 minutes.
9. Add steak and salt. Cook to desired doneness.
10. Place cooked plantains on a plate or cutting board.
11. Assemble sandwich – add steak, onion, lettuce and mayo.
12. Cut in half.
Source: The View from the Bay